There is no ‘quick action’ in UP FIR against Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair, says Supreme Court, Post Matter for July 20

The Supreme Court on Monday fixed July 20 for hearing the plea of ​​Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair. The Supreme Court said that till then no preliminary action should be taken against Mohammad Zubair.

A bench of Justices DY Chandrachud and AS Bopanna asked the Uttar Pradesh government to quash all six FIRs registered against him in Uttar Pradesh and on a plea by MD Zubair seeking interim bail challenging the formation of a Special Investigation Team (SIT). Notice also issued.

Separate FIRs were registered against Mohammad Zubair in Sitapur, Lakhimpur Kheri, Ghaziabad, Muzaffarnagar and Hathras districts for allegedly hurting religious sentiments, making sarcastic remarks on news anchors, insulting Hindu deities and posting provocative posts. Has been.

Read | Delhi Court grants bail to Alt News co-founder Mohammad Zubair, orders not to leave the country

Earlier in the day, Zubair, through his lawyer Vrinda Grover, sought quashing of the FIR lodged in UP, seeking immediate listing of his petition in the apex court.

A bench headed by Chief Justice NV Ramana took note of the submissions of Zubair’s counsel that the petitioner, a fact checker and journalist, was facing multiple FIRs and his plea required urgent hearing. The matter was then listed before a bench of Justice DY Chandrachud.

Last week, a Delhi court granted bail to Mohammad Zubair in a 2018 tweet case, observing that Hinduism was one of the “oldest” and “most tolerant”.

According to the FIR, Zubair had used a screengrab from an old Hindi film, which showed a picture of a hotel with ‘Hanuman Hotel’ written on its board instead of ‘Honeymoon Hotel’. Zubair wrote in his tweet, “Before 2014: Honeymoon Hotel. After 2014: Hanuman Hotel.”

Leave a Comment